Sunday, May 15, 2011

leather work

I had been wanting to learn how to work with leather for a little while,
and finally got a chance to!
(well, this class will be done after two more classes)

so far, we made a belt, like below, and a handbag -work-in-progress. 

 learned cleaning, treating, dyeing and handstitching the leather, as well as the machine sewing of the leather.
my singer has no trouble sewing oil cloth, so I was pretty confident it will take leather with no hustle.
w.r.o.n.g.
she really didn't like sewing the leather.
I had a really thin soft pig swede, which may have something to do with it,
also none of the roller foot the teacher had didn't fit on my machine.
ugh.
I am going to find a roller foot that's made for her, so I can work more with leather in the future! 

meanwhile,
I finally got around to what I had been meaning to do for a quite sometime!
finally soled these slippers I knitted/felted last october.
I know I am a procrastinator, but I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing since I had no experience working with leather before.
 now, I know how-to, it was a piece-o-cake!

pleased with how it turned out, and it's great having a extra cushion/durability to these! 


No comments: